Thursday, September 15, 2005

Book Review: "Mother Angelica"




As I just completed this book I feel compelled to share my thoughts on it so that you may make an informed decision about whether or not to purchase it. I decided when I heard that the book was being published that I would buy a copy-mostly because I am eternally greatful to EWTN for re-sparking my intrest in the Church. I knew some of the major events in Mother Angelica's life and I thought reading the book would give me a bit of an in-depth insight into her life--boy was I wrong. This book was a truly comprehensive, extreamly well researched, impressive compilation of Mother's life. The book spends a large portion on her pre-EWTN activities which gives the reader a unique perspective through which the reader can understand why EWTN and Mothers Poor Clares have evolved into what they are today. Another intresting point is that the book is not a white-wash of Mother's life. It documents her successes, her failures, her temper, and her triumph. Reading it will give you an appreciateion of Mother's unique personality and the personalities of other Church figures--to include: Deacon Steltemeier, Sister Mary David, Sister Mary Raphael, the Sister Servents, Bishop Foley, and yes even Cardinal Mahoney. This book will forever change the way that you "view" EWTN. I couldn't reccoment this book more. Kudos Raymond Arroyo for a job well done.

Now for what others have said:
"Raymond Arroyo invites the reader to join him on the wild ride of the Holy Spirit that transformed Rita Rizzo into Mother Angelica, one of the feistiest and most effective evangelists of our time. It is an invitation not to be declined."-Father Richard John Neuhaus, editor-in-chief of First Things Magazine

"Mother Angelica's personal words to me, her courageous example, and her constant prayers helped inspire my portrayal of Jesus in "The Passion of the Christ". No one could have captured the essence of this modern day saint better than Raymond Arroyo. His narrative gifts and understanding of Mother are clearly evident in this truthful and often candid depiction of one nun's struggle to bring God to the multitudes. Surely this book, and Mother's life will have an incredible enduring legacy." - Jim Caviezel, Actor